We posted relevant information for IFAJ 2015 delegates as it came in on this page. Our aim was to provide as much as we could in electronic format so you had access to necessary documents.
Useful facts from IFAJ 2015 are:
- Over 152 agricultural journalists came to see New Zealand agriculture for themselves
- Agricultural journalists from 27 nations were in attendance
- Twenty five speakers – 11 keynotes and 14 Talking Heads – provided their experience and knowledge to set the scene for New Zealand and its primary production sector
- Five farm stream buses a day over three days carried delegates to see dairy, red meat, horticulture, science and innovation and general
- Thirty six farms, research establishments and companies enthusiastically and willingly shared their experience with delegates.
- Six hundred dinners were provided at The Verandah, Silver Fern Farms Te Aroha, Hobbiton and Vilagrad
- Three hundred delicious paper-bag lunches were prepared, carried away on buses and eaten
- Hundreds of tweets have already been twittered @IFAJ2015NZ #ifaj2015
- Nineteen sponsors, led by principal sponsor DairyNZ, meant that we were able to stage the event - without their support we could not have done it! Thank you, all!
Reports and other material for your general background.
- New Zealand in Profile 2015, Statistics NZ
- Situation and Outlook for Primary Industries 2015, Ministry for Primary Industries, June 2015 (Booklet)
- Situation and Outlook for Primary Industries 2015, June 2015, Ministry for Primary Industries. (PDF, c. 9 MB)
- KPMG Agribusiness Agenda, Volume 1 'Growing Value', released 9 June 2015 (PDF, c. 2.9 MB)
- KPMG Agribusiness Agenda, Volume 2 'Exploring our global future', 16 October 2015 (PDF, c. 3.5 MB)
- TPP: Overview of sector outcomes, NZ Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Quick stats about dairying, DairyNZ, October 2015
- Ensuring a viable progression path in the NZ dairy industry, James Allen and Nicola Waugh (PDF, 1.8 MB)
- What is a variable order sharemilker? DairyNZ
- Fresh Facts, New Zealand Horticulture, 2014, Horticulture NZ/Plant & Food Research (PDF, c. 2 MB)
- Compendium of New Zealand Beef and Sheep Farm Facts, 39th edition, 2015
- Exporting New Zealand Grape Wine, August 2015, Ministry for Primary Industries
- New Zealand politics: How the New Zealand Parliament works; Voting system, Electoral Commission
- Hamilton, Home of IFAJ Congress 2015 (Word, 20 KB)
- Hamilton Farm Visits background (Word document, 198 KB)
- Pre-Congress Tour background (Word, 57 KB)
- Post-Congress Tour (South Island) background (Word, 61 KB)
- About New Zealand
See here for speakers bios and pictures.
Where available, after their session, speakers presentations will be posted here.
- Hon Nathan Guy, Minister for Primary Industries (opening night dinner, PDF c. 1MB)
- Ben Dalton, Ministry for Primary Industries
- Jacqueline Rowarth, Waikato University
- Ian Proudfoot, KPMG: Growing value, a disruptive prescription for New Zealand agriculture (PPT 4MB)
- Hon Tim Groser, Minister for Trade and Minister for Climate Change, Securing the Future (the Minister spoke off the cuff, no notes are available)
- Rick Pridmore, Dairy NZ: 'Securing the Future a Matter of Degrees' (PDF 1MB)
- Simon Limmer, Zespri - 'Growing what our consumers want' (PDF, 4.8 MB)
- Lukas Paravicini and John Monaghan, Fonterra, Meeting Market Needs (PDF, 3.6 MB))
- Jeffrey Clarke, NZ Wine (PDF 3.7 MB)
- Bill Falconer, Meat Industry Association (PDF 1.6 MB)
- Sir William Gallagher, Gallagher Group
- Foreign Workers- how New Zealand Horticulture works, Leigh Catley, Horticulture NZ (PDF, 7.4 MB)
- Nutrient Management in NZ Agriculture, Aaron Stafford, Ballance Agri-Nutrients, (PDF, 4MB)
- Shane Max, Zespri (PDF, 4MB)
- Tony Egan, Greenlea Premier Meats (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Forest Research, Bryan Graham, Scion (pdf 2.2 MB)
- Jim Webster, AgResearch
- Improving the public perception of dairying, Andrew Fraser, Dairy NZ (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- Mark Goodwin, Plant & Food Research
- Michael Jamieson, Ministry for Primary Industries (no presentation available)
- MPI Detector Dog Programme, Brett Hickman, Ministry for Primary Industries
- John Roche, DairyNZ,
- 'Hindsight to Foresight', Tony Pearse, Deer Industry NZ
- 'Manuka Honey, Liquid Gold from New Zealand', Rolf Schlothauer, Comvita
Hamilton Farm Visit streams
Any relevant media releases will be posted here.
- IFAJ takes steps to change the world of agricultural journalism and communications, IFAJ press release, 16 October 2015
- World Food Day statement: Hunger can happen to anyone, IFAJ press release, 16 October, 2015
- Jon Morgan wins IFAJ print journalism competition, IFAJ press release, 15 October 2015
- Winner of the 2015 IFAJ-DeLaval Star Prize for Photography Contest Announced, IFAJ press release, 15 October 2015
- IFAJ names winners of Star Prize for Broadcasting, IFAJ press release, 15 October 2015
- Beef export returns trump sheepmeat returns for first time in 20 years, Beef + Lamb NZ press release, 14 October 2015
- AgResearch-led research receives NZ$3.6 million for research into gut health, AgResearch press release 13 October 2015
- AgResearch-led research shows global solutions reducing ruminant methane emissions, AgResearch press release, 13 October 2015
- One week to Congress 2015, 7 October 15
HOORAY!! The Congress 2015 DropBox is now working and invitations to join have been sent to all delegates. Please credit Peter Drury, the official photographer, unless otherwise advised.
Above photos: Ross Miller.
See also Chuck Zimmerman's Flickr IFAJ 2015 photo album.
- KPMG's Global Head of Agribusiness, Ian Proudfoot, summarises the latest Agribusiness Agenda 2015 - Volume 1, Growing Value. Watch here.